Whilst researching Sze's work, I realised that back in 2009 I has actually seen an exhibition of hers, 'Tilting Planet' at the BALTIC in Gateshead. I remember really enjoying the exhibition, despite only being fourteen at the time, as it was very playful and fun. Sze uses everyday objects to create wonderfully complex structures, that sometimes, from a distance look like miniature towns or buildings. She makes the viewer see objects she has used in a different way to what their everyday purpose is. I love how she has contrasted both repeated pattern and randomly placed objects in her work, and how some areas of the spaces used are immensely detailed whereas other spaces have very little in them.
Aselm Keifer
Keifer is a German painter and sculptor and uses very textural materials, such as clay and ash, in his work. His work is strongly influenced by Nazi history. 'Tempelhof' is painted using oil, acrylic, terracotta and salt. I was drawn to this painting because of the haunting nature of it. The colour pallet is mainly light grey colours, which then contrast with the white light coming through the large windows of the empty hall, which is very atmospheric. The surface of the canvas is very textured and looks as aged and weathered, which I love. The condition of the surface of the painting suggests that the hall too is derelict.
Peter Doig
I love the rich and warm colours used in Doig's paintings, and how he translates a landscape into his own painting. At first, you fail to notice the yellow figure of a snowboarder mid air in 'Orange Sunshine.' I also like the marbled affect of the yellow and blue of the sky, and how the splatterings of white represent the snowfall. Although the image is a snow scene, the colour pallet is very warm, with reds and oranges, which seems unusual considering that you imagine the snow to be very cold. However, I find this works very well.


No comments:
Post a Comment