Richard Long
I love the simplicity of many of Long's works. To create his work, Long goes on epic walks, mostly in remote areas of the world, and makes small and simple sculptures from the materials that surround him. The isolation of the walks Long takes are reflected in his work, as it is often a small sculpture situated in an empty, vast landscape. I love the calm atmosphere created by Long's work, and how his sculptures make little impact on the environment.
Francis Alys
Alys has made various videos that are based around the activity of walking. My favourites of these were the 'Railings' series, where Alys was filmed walking around the streets of London, dragging a stick along any railings he came across. I found watching and listening to these videos surprisingly peaceful. I like how as the videos progress, Alys starts to develop the sounds he creates and become more adventurous. I also find these videos quite fun and playful.
View one of his videos here: http://www.francisalys.com/public/railingsii.html
Vito Acconci
Every day for a month, Acconci followed a random person around the streets of New York for as long as he could until they entered a private interior. He then recorded his activity to create 'Following Piece.' I find this work really interesting, as Acconci is making artwork from his activity rather than creating something. It is also quite humorous but also sinister, the idea of following someone for as long as you can.


No comments:
Post a Comment