Sunday, 15 December 2013

Making skylines from paper

At college our tutor taught us some basic book making techniques. I really enjoyed these and so decided to use some of these methods in my project.

I drew two of my skylines on either side a concertina book (basically zig-zag folded paper) that I made. I found that this was a really nice way of displaying them.


 
I then thought I'd try cutting the skylines into the concertina to create silhouettes. This was really effective and I really like the delicacy of the pieces. I then explored the different ways of arranging the concertinas I had made.
 





I like the contrast of the light and dark shapes that is created when I photograph the skylines folded up. It also creates more depth, almost like a 3D scene.
 


I created a concertina from one of my actual skyline drawings as I wanted to cut out the detailed shapes of the chimneys and satellites.  
 

 
 
We also learnt how to make a blizzard book. These are quite complex to make at first but I like the star like shape that the book makes. I attached sections of a cut out skyline onto each of the 'pages,' but I don't really like the final outcome as it doesn't look much like a skyline.

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment